Here are some quick facts taken from the MSLK Watershed exhibit about the plastic the water bottle epidemic plaguing our planet:
• 80% of the the 50 billion bottles the US consumes each year, end up in a landfill - that's 40 billion unrecycled water bottles, wonder how many end up in our oceans?
• It takes 17 million barrels of oil to produce these plastic bottles each year.
• The Great Pacific Garbage Patch (the size of Texas) is a circulating pile of plastic that has not biodegraded. The stuff that does biodegrade only results in smaller pieces that are harder to clean up.
• If you drink 2 Liters of tap water a day, it only costs you 50 cents per year to drink. Drinking the same amount, but bottled will cost you nearly 1000 times more.
• Plastic is known to leach toxins into our food and water, which have been linked to health issues such as reproductive problems and cancer.
• New York City tap water surpasses all federal and state health standards.
• Given the current environmental and economic situations at hand, it is important now more than ever to not waste money on such a harmful product, the consumption of which has become a worldwide epidemic.For the reasons above, it's highly suggestible that we should be using some sort of non disposable containers for our drinking water. Stainless steel water bottles give us an excellent solution to the non-sustainable habit we have created during recent years.