Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chopstick stuck in toddler's brain

Doctors in China are hopeful a toddler will not suffer any long-term problems after successfully removing a chopstick that was stuck in his brain.

The eating utensil went up 14-month-old Li Jingchao's nose when he fell over while playing at home in eastern Shandong province in late December.
Local doctors felt they would not perform the delicate operation safely because they lacked the right equipment, according to state media.
As a result, Li's parents drove 10 hours north to Beijing's Bo Ai Hospital.
By the time they arrived, the tot was suffering a high fever and an irregular heartbeat.
"We were fully prepared to bear the worst results when we started the surgery," said hospital spokesman Chen Yawei.
Neurosurgeons found the chopstick was lodged four millimetres into Li's brain and feared removing it may cause internal bleeding - possibly causing paralysis or even death.

"We were prepared to cut open his head immediately to stop the bleeding from his brain if blood spurted from his nose just when the chopstick was pulled out," Mr Chen said.
"But the surgeon's skill was fully realised.
"Doctor Sun Wei, an expert on neurosurgery, has successfully treated four cases like this.
"The parents travelled ... to this hospital because the surgeon is famous for his skill in handling this kind of surgery."
The operation proved successful, with Li now being treated with anti-inflammatory medication because the chopstick was dirty and caused an infection in his brain.
Mr Chen added: "After the operation, we are rather optimistic about the child's situation and he should be able to leave the hospital in about a week."


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment